Why The Certificate Program
- “Through participation in the YU Certificate Program in Experiential Jewish Education, our senior staff member gained new insight, and is able to enrich the quality of experiential programming and deepen the professional development of educators in our community.”Dr. Seymour Kopelowitz, Executive Director, Jewish Education Center of Cleveland
- “YU’s program provides an incredible breadth of learning and experience, with an amazing diversity of professionals. The three Hillel professionals who participated – from vastly different educational and Jewish backgrounds – each benefited in a different way. The program enables professionals with deep Jewish knowledge to learn how to package it and use this knowledge more effectively. The program also enables professionals with less background to gain critical skills in learning and informal teaching.”Abigail Dauber Sterne, Vice President for Global Jewish Experience, Hillel: The Foundation for Jewish Campus Life
- “Experiential Jewish Education is a field… a craft… a calling. But Experiential Jewish Education is more than that. I’ve learned that Experiential Jewish Education is a way of looking at how we live our lives and interact with the lives of others.”Rabbi Michael Davies, Rabbi, Congregation Dor Tikvah, Charleston, SC
- “I learned that there is a way to take the impulse, the feeling from deep inside my stomach, and professionalize it. There is a way to take what I do so instinctively and put it into words in order to share my enthusiasm with my colleagues and learners.”Leah Maas, National Coordinator Mentor, North America – Diller Teen Fellows.
- “Experiential Jewish education is not just “adventure trips and outdoor summer camps” – as it is so commonly misunderstood – it’s a series of unique, self-experienced struggles to define one’s own values, with the guidance of an educator who remains transparent about his or her own struggles, who creates a space to play with consequences, and who encourages regular reflection.”Carolyn Gerecht, Director of Engagement, Agency for Jewish Learning, Pittsburg, PA
Experiential Jewish Education is
transforming the landscape of
Jewish education and Jewish
identity. It is not only a passion,
it is a profession. The Certificate
Program trains outstanding Jewish
educators to reimagine and
professionalize the scope and
impact this field has on
the Jewish community.